Sunday, October 21, 2007

PLN 6-2 (12)

While skimming through some interesting posts, I came across a post titled Are you ready to grow? What's holding you back? by Mrs Parson which talks about how because of technology, there is too much information available that our brains can not handle. Some important questions that she asks are, "It makes me question how I teach, am I preparing the students to have the skills to obtain knowledge rather than feeding them knowledge? Has technology changed the way we teach, in some ways, but are we as teachers really preparing the students for the 21st century? Is "know where" replacing 'know what" and "know how"?"
I believe that when tons of information is given, the student feels overwhelmed and even if they study, lots of the information will be forgotten after the test is taken. I had a teacher who gave out so much information that it took me 5 hours to study for one test. I studied extremely hard, but now, I forgot a lot of the material we learned. There was so much information, that I could only remember it for a couple of days. Technology is very useful, but maybe teachers could start not feeding us so much information all at one time. Maybe they could break it down and make sure we understand a couple facts and keep building on that. There are many facts about a certain subject available with just the click of a button. People around the world use search engines on their computers, like Google, to help obtain information. Sometimes as many as 1 million websites about that subject appear.
"we have always had access to more knowledge than we were able to handle. It has
intensified in our generation."

No comments: